Nursery Field Grown and Container (FG&C) Insurance
Nursery crop insurance is available in all counties for which a premium rate is provided in the actuarial documents to all persons operating nurseries that meet certain criteria. Insurance coverage applies, by practice (field-grown or container), to all of your nursery plants in a county and:
- For which you have a share;
- Are on the EPLPPS;
- Are grown in a nursery that receives at least 40 percent of its gross income from the wholesale marketing of nursery plants;
- Meet all the requirements for insurability;
- Are grown in an appropriate medium; and
- Are grown and sold with the root system attached.
Nursery plants may not be insured if they:
- Are grown in containers containing two or more different genera, species, subspecies, varieties, or cultivars;
- Are grown as stock plants; or
- Are grown solely for harvest of buds, flowers, or greenery.
Plants producing edible fruits and nuts can be insured if the plants are available for sale. Harvesting the edible fruit or nuts does not affect insurability.
Your nursery must be inspected and approved as acceptable before insurance coverage can begin.
You are protected against the following:
- Adverse weather conditions, including wind, hurricane and freeze. If cold protection is required by the EPLPPS, adequate and operational cold protection measures must be in place;
- Failure of irrigation water supply, if due to an insurable cause of loss, such as drought;
- Fire, provided weeds and undergrowth are controlled; and
Plant damage or losses in value as a result of the following situations are not covered:
- Collapse or failure of buildings/structures, unless caused by an insurable cause of loss;
- Disease or insect infestation, unless effective control measures for the infestation do not exist;
- Failure of plants to grow to an expected size;
- Inadequate power supply, unless such inadequacy is a result of an insurable cause of loss; and
- Inability to market nursery products due to a stop sales order, quarantine, boycott, phytosanitary restriction on sales, or buyer refusal.
Insurance Programs & Risk Management Tools
Our goal is to educate and advise our customers on all options available to them including —Public Programs offered through Federal Crop Insurance, Private Programs offering deeper levels of coverage, and Hedging programs protecting against market volatility. Explore some of our insurance solutions: